Two room apartment on the second floor of an 1853 dependency apartment which housed the school room, governess’s room, billiard room and office on the grounds of Lansdowne 3 miles north of historic Natchez, Mississippi.
Built for Charlotte Hunt and George Matthews Marshall on 600 acres in 1853, Lansdowne was planned as a wooded country estate but became a working plantation in the late 19th century following the loss of the Marshalls’ Louisiana plantations.
The spacious 18 x 20 bedroom has a Queen sized iron bed with contemporary bedside tables and lighting while an original bureau and armoire provide space for clothing. The bath is completely updated with luxurious marble tile shower. The second room has a fully stocked modern kitchen, dining table with seating for three or four, and a comfy sofa for socializing. A wide wooden gallery with ceiling fans stretches 40 feet across the front of the building.
The property is still owned by direct descendants of the original owners, one of whom, Marsha Colson, lives on site. The other owners and their children and grandchildren visit frequently and
The Governess Quarters has been occupied by family members since the 1930s and is now primarily a vacation rental property.
A twin building facing the Governess Quarters across a courtyard originally housed the kitchen and washing room and quarters for the cook and butler and children’s nurse. It is now a fully furnished 2 bedroom 2 bath vacation home with kitchen, laundry, separate dining and living room and accommodates 5 to 6 guests.
Lansdowne is now comprised of 120 acres of woodlands and pastures, hiking and riding trails and two ponds. Nature lovers may see deer, rabbits, wild turkeys, great blue herons, Mississippi kites, great horned owls, cuckoos, cardinals, thrashers, warblers, and even indigo and painted buntings.
The main house is furnished with original family pieces and contains original wallpaper and faux bois and faux marbre baseboards and doors. Guests are invited to join the resident owner for a tour and beverages. Regular tour times are Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 3 PM except during Fall and Spring Pilgrimage when the house is open for half day tours every third or fourth day.
From downtown Natchez or from Highway 61, follow Martin Luther King/Highway 555 about 1 mile past the city limits. Turn onto Marshall Road and continue about 1/4 mile, bearing left at the fork. Follow the driveway to the right of the main house and park anywhere near the two-story brick building on the right.
Enter the apartment from the door at the top of the stairs. An electronic or standard key will be provided. Enjoy your morning to your coffee in the ceiling fans on the wide second floor gallery and end the day watching fireflies while crickets and cicadas sing.
For info on other events, tours, museums, music and restaurants, go to or Yelp.