Sleeps 6. 3 Bedrooms. 3 Baths.
- english, italian
About Angela Wickstead
Nationality: New Zealander
Angela Wickstead purchased this Villa in 2009
100% refund if cancelled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if cancelled at least 7 days before arrival date.
5 star stay
We can’t do anything but express how fantastic our experience was. A fantastic property in a great location with lots to do.
We had an amazing time at Villa Amalia, the property is fabulous, Angela has thought of everything and the quality is fantastic.
The village is beautiful and the local town has everything you need including lovely restaurants - thank you for the recommendations Angela.
Roberto and his wife are charming and although he doesn't speak English and we don't speak Italian it wasn't a problem at all, thank you Google translation!
We loved the area and plan to return one day.
Thanks again Angela.
Lovingly-Restored Farmhouse where Details Matter
I have rented many homes across Europe, spending hours searching for the perfect place, analyzing every detail through pictures and descriptions. One of the things that impressed me with this villa was that it was true to the pictures, and even exceeded them. For example, often pictures may have been taken years prior, where everything is new and "fresh-looking" with the perfect lighting, but when you arrive, you are disappointed because the kitchen and baths may not be as clean as you would like, or the cushions are dull and stained. However, this was not the case with Angela's house. The sofa in the conservatory was a bright white as if brand new. And the linens on the beds were beautifully pressed and heavenly to sleep on. I appreciated the closet of extra towels, and new bars of soap in the bathrooms (not always a given with rentals). It is the small details like these that made the difference - olive oil, salt and pepper in the pantry, dishwasher and laundry detergent, mosquito spray, garbage bags, high-quality wine glasses, and plenty of serving dishware. Did I mention that there were fresh vases of flowers in several rooms? I'm sure this was the work of Renato, the property manager, who was so kind and accommodating. When we had a problem our first day with a bathroom, he came while we were out for the day and had it fixed by the time we got back. He made us dinner reservations per my email request before we even arrived. The landscaping and grounds, with pear and lemon trees, are impeccably kept - I'm sure also his doing. Other details that impressed me were the high-end systems, including the faucets, two stoves, and the great water pressure in the showers and sinks - without ever running out of hot water (again not always a given in these old farmhouses in Europe.)
We loved relaxing in the conservatory, with its beautiful views of the hills, and eating breakfast and lunch on the terrace. Even though the house is not air-conditioned, it stayed cool if you shut the shutters in the afternoons, and fans provided in the bedrooms worked fine to keep cool at night.
We traveled around Piedmont quite a bit every day, but locally, we loved the two markets in Moncalvo for stocking the fridge, and Restaurant Adria, on the recommended list was a real surprise and one of the best meals we had. The guys rented Ebikes in Moncalvo and loved touring the countryside. Finally, Angela was a pleasure to work with. She was very responsive and gracious.
The property was marvellous with all that makes a holiday memorable. The rooms are spacious and beautiful and the garden and surrounding landscape breath taking. The location once found initially is easy to find subsequently. There is the possibility to make trips to many places of interest including wineries that are open for tastings and many restaurants and cafes in the region that provide casual and fine dining. A great place to relax and also to go exploring.
Gorgeous house but not the most practical one
Angela's house is absolutely gorgeous, that goes without saying. Exactly as shown in the pictures, stylish and luxurious. We were two families with two 2-year-old kids travelling, and the points presented below are merely observations made by a family travelling with kids, not necessarily negative ones from the perspective of all types of travellers:
1) There is no A/C in the house, which made our stay almost unbearable (at the end of June). There are fans in the bedrooms but they did not manage to do the trick in the heat of the summer when the temperatures didn't cool down even at night.
2) The downside of being a super stylish place is certain impracticality. For example, all the kitchenware, while undeniably beautiful, was really thin and fragile, which was difficult not only for the kids but for us adults as well. We had to take extra care when handling any of the dishes, and still managed to break a couple of wineglasses.
3) There is no microwave oven (which would have been very handy with the kids) nor a traditional coffeemaker, and as keen coffee drinkers we experienced the use of the moka pots too laborious (the amount of coffee that one pan produces is tiny and it took forever on the gas stove) and ended up drinking instant coffee instead (there is no electric kettle either, by the way).
4) Please note that there is a cleaning fee of 130 GBP (around 150 EUR) charged in addition to the rental fee, which came as a surprise to us (although apparently, at least now, stated on the website, but it had slipped our eyes). We also had to pay to bank transfer fees worth of more than 50 EUR for having our security deposit back, which I thought was shocking as we were not given any other option of having our money back (we also live in an EU country and paying the deposit on Angela's account did not incur any costs for us, while her returning it to us cost us 50 euros).
4) Contrary to the impression given on the website, the house is situated at the end of a residential street and there are immediate neighbours. They did not bother us at all, but I just wanted to point this out in case someone is looking for a country house in the middle of vineyards and fields - this is not the place.
5) The services (and especially their opening hours) in the nearby village of Moncalvo are very limited.
In response to the review I would just like to add, I do not charge a bank fee for the refund of the security deposit. I pay these bank fees. The bank fees this guest and every guest incurs is to the holiday website when paying for their booking. I do not pay these bank fees (as noted on the booking contract) and therefore deduct them when I am refunding the deposit. A copy of this document is available to the guest.
lovely family stay in a romantic surrounding
We enjoyed a great stay in this fantastic house! Lovely decorated and furnished.