Harmony House on the South Bay of Pelee Island is a place to unwind, unplug and reconnect. It's a place for families large and small , for hikers, bicyclists, fishermen, swimmers, sunbathers and bird watchers.
(PLEASE NOTE. Our large cottage only rents for 1or 2 week sessions during the summer season. No weekends. GO TO RENTAL RATES TO SEE WEEKLY RATES IN CANADA $) Thanks....oh, and by the way, this is not a B and B.
Outside, where you'll probably spend the most time, is a large grassy lawn with shade trees, and an observation deck overlooking Lake Erie and the clean blue water that stretches as far as you can see. In the morning from the deck on the break-wall, you'll take your cup of hot tea and often watch flocks of geese, cormorant, great blue herons, gulls and egrets feed in the sandy shallows. In the afternoon you can sunbathe, read, play cards or swim in the warm shallow water. There is a small beach nearby, but no steps from our deck, since the storms this summer (2018) washed them away twice this summer. We swim at Eagle Beach, a small, little used beach about 3 minutes walk from the house, or at one of the several other public beaches a short drive away. Perhaps you'll take a bike ride along the shore to the public beach, or the old lighthouse. Maybe you'll want to tour the winery, or go to the museum which tells about the history of the island and about the endangered and rare wildlife that find a home here. Some days may want to rent bikes or kayaks. or perhaps charter a boat and go fishing.
Pelee is famous for rare birds and butterfly migrations, so bring your binoculars. In the evening you'll watch the sunset from the deck and roast marshmallows over a campfire or if you're in the mood, head for one of the local restaurants for a fish dinner and some music. Before bed go back out to the deck to look at a sky full of stars.
The cottage has 5 bedrooms, one with a king bed, two with queen beds, and two with two twin beds. Most rooms are air-conditioned but because of the constant breeze from the lake all the rooms are usually cool and comfortable.
There is a laundry room with washer and dryer. Also available, TV and VCR. You can make reservations for the ferry, which runs several times daily, from Canada or Sandusky, Ohio. You can also fly from Port Clinton, Ohio or Windsor CA.
* Bring your own sheets, pillow cases and towels. Blankets are provided.
* Basic food is available at the Island Co-op store, but it’s expensive. There is also a farmer’s market at the quarry on Saturday AM
* Toliet paper, dish soap, laundry soap and hand soap are provided.
* There is a gas/charcoal grill, with propane but bring your own charcoal if you prefer.
* Wifi is purposely not provided. We get emails and text out on the deck if we use our cell phones. You can also connect at the Art Works store for a small fee.
* Comfort Tech Bikes rents bicycles and will even bring them to you if you don’t have a vehicle. There is also a taxi and you can arrange tours.