|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
When you book through the HomeAway checkout, your booking is backed by our Book with Confidence Guarantee™ offering comprehensive payment protection.Learn more
Modern Amenities with Old Barn Charm!
Want to get away to the East Coast but not sure you want to get sucked into the big city? What if you could have peace and serenity in the beautiful countryside, all while having easy access to major cities such as New York City, Boston, Hartford, and Providence?
Come experience the splendor of rural northeastern Connecticut by staying in this uniquely historic, beautiful 6-bedroom home located on 4.3 acres of pristine, partially wooded stonewalled grounds. The structure was originally built as a dairy barn, but completely renovated into a house in the late 1970s. The homeowners live in an separate, isolated part of the house so they are available for anything you need. The house was more recently updated with modernized fixtures, air conditioning, new kitchen equipment, a resurfaced and extended driveway, and a relined in-ground 40-foot swimming pool. You’ll fall in love with the glorious, classic 40’x96’ post and beam structure – it’s aesthestically pleasing, and will prove very comfortable for you and your travel companions. You can still see the original framing as well as the 150-year-old weathered wood used for the walls of the kitchen, solarium, and the first floor bathroom. The master bedroom has a delightful cathedral ceiling, an attached privat bathroom, and a balcony, so you can walk outside and be among the treetops. Relax and read a book in the fully stocked library, complete with a cozy wood-burning fireplace (and a complimentary supply of firewood), or observe the picturesque wooded acres overlooked from the wall of windows in the solarium. There is a formal dining room as well as an informal dining room in the kitchen and attached entertainment area including a large chopping block with bar stools. During the warmer months, you’ll love lounging in the screened pool house adjacent to the L-shaped in-ground pool.
This home has plenty of room for dining, entertainment, and accommodations for all your family and friends. If you're out exploring the community, make sure you check out the local museums (such as the Ballard Puppet Museum or the Connecticut Natural History Museum), the Creamery Brook Bison Farm, and the Burgess Brook Alpaca Farm. There are also numerous opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, birding, pet farms, river and stream paddling, fruit picking, and more. Whether you plan on using this home as your starting off point for excursions to the cities, or want to just relax to the fullest, you are sure to enjoy the privacy and little luxuries of rural lifestyle.
Key Residence Features:
- Amenities include multiple TVs, library, internet connection, private outdoor pool, pool house, solarium, screened porch, balcony, deck, fully-appointed kitchen, supplied with continental breakfast supplies, wood-burning fireplace, and wood stoves with complimentary firewood.
- Owner will stock pantry and fridge with additional special items upon request for a negotiated fee
- Outstanding location - Quiet, serene rural setting within reasonable distance of NYC, Boston, Hartford, and Providence
- 4340 square feet of comfortable living space, including 6 bedrooms, 4 full bathrooms, 2 convertible queen-sized sofa beds, and more!
- Master Bedroom: King-sized bed with private balcony
- Bedroom 2: Queen-sized bed
- Bedroom 3: Full-sized bed
- Bedroom 4: Queen-sized bed
- Bedroom 5: Queen-sized bed
- Bedroom 6: Queen-sized bed
- Bedrooms 4-6, along with a full bathroom are on the third floor.
- There are 2 Queen-sized pull out sofas for additional sleeping. And 4 traditional (non-pull out) sofas that guests can sleep on - 3 (6.5 ft in length) and 1 (5.5 ft in length).
- The Golden Lamb - Famous 'prix fixe haute' cuisine, and great for catering or events
- The Vanilla Bean Cafe - Award winning hearty food known as "Connecticut's Best Country Cafe"
- Sharp Hill Vineyard - Locally raised and grown gourmet cuisine
- No indoor smoking
- No pets allowed except with special permission
- No large gatherings
- No noisy activities or use of screened porch after 11pm
- 15% Connecticut room occupancy tax and $200 cleaning fee per reservation may apply
- $20 per person per night extra person fees apply to reservations with more than 8 people
- Must be at least 21 years old to reserve the property
Evolve Vacation Rental Network is on a mission to make vacation rental easy for travelers. Our dedicated Travel Advisor Team is available 7 days a week and our simple online reservation system allows you to book securely with a credit card! Please feel free to call us at 1.877.818.1013.
Owner / Property Manager purchased this house in 1902
We rented the house for my family which was in town for a wedding at the Lord Thompson Manner.
Everything was great ! Huge kitchen that housed all of us for chatting and eating.
The bedrooms were all clean and bright and bathrooms clean and abundant which was great for the 11 we had.
Two family rooms, and a huge dining room made space for everyone.
The yard was beautifully landscaped and although too early for the pool, it was great benefit for the next trip.
The owners were wonderfully accommodating and attended to any request.
This huge rustic home is perfect for reunions and holds everyone.
Highly recommend this place !!!
This place is absolutely amazing. Pictures and description do not do it justice. The owners are very friendly and helpful. We had 12 people stay and had plenty of room. It is just a really neat property that would appeal to anyone. I would recommend this property to anyone looking for someplace that can sleep a large number of people or anyone just wanting a great place to stay while in the area.
Our family traveled from several different states for our son's wedding. Our stay at The Barn was fabulous and conveniently located for travel between Putnam, Plainfield, and Woodstock. With so many bedrooms, it was great to have family and friends stay with us and not worry about individual hotel rooms. It was also nice to have room outside for our grandson to run around. The owner was onsite and readily available to answer any questions we had. Town is just a five minute drive and there are grocery stores, convenience stores, coffee, and even a Walmart close by. Three living room areas provided lots of space to enjoy together. The kitchen was huge and great for family meals. We loved every minute of our stay!
Our stay at the Barn at Gray Mare Hill was absolutely wonderful! We rented out this space for our wedding at the near by Golden Lamb Buttery and it made a perfect weekend even better. Much of our wedding party was traveling in from out of state so it was wonderful to be able to spend the whole weekend together under one roof. Everyone was able to have their own rooms and there are more than enough bathrooms that no one got in each others way. The huge kitchen was a great bonus as we were able to have a family meal one night and all catch up.
MaryBeth and Doug are absolutely amazing! They are so inviting and they have built a beautiful home that they are more than welcome to show you around and share the renovation history.
What a great place. The owner was on site, and so hospitable. She brought us fresh tomatoes from her garden, and homemade pear crisp from her pear trees. The place was beautiful and huge. Plenty of room for the 14 ladies that were attending. We could have fit 10 more easily. We will be staying there again next year. Loved it. Also the pool was awesome.
My family enjoyed this home to come together and celebrate my mom's 60th Birthday. There was plenty of space for all and all the needed materials to make a great weekend. The owner was lovely as well.