____________ Guests remarks _____________
" A Destination In and Of Itself "
"What a unique & awesome experience"
"Thanks for everything. The energy here is incredible"! .." Truely a MAGICAL place"
(recent) "The home totally exceeded our expectations. Stayed in a lot of rentals and never immediately felt at ease and at peace like I did here. Nathan was so helpful and his home-made blueberry pancakes with jam-were the sweetest end to our nights away." ( family from Delaware/ March 2019)
Greetings & WE INVITE YOU - to a positively UNUSUAL vacation-stay that the entire family will enjoy ( because our accommodations are so SPECIAL and "entertaining", and truly, an "adventure" for ALL). ( Features1-8 :)
(1) Our guests (& "family") enjoy NATURE - at its Best (by providing both superior "Hiking" and Privacy *1.5 miles hike -to The Appalachian Trail) and 2.5 miles to the Park's popular Big Meadow Restaurant & Resort. Then, "back home", there is the comfort and privacy on the (4.5-acre) mountaintop Estate ( where guests can enjoy "picnicking" (and kid & doggy- can run-about) in its own, private Sculpture Park).
(2) Then, How about OUR quaint accommodations: For, our Guests stay in the historic (1921) "Tanners Ridge Mission" (church) * that has been converted to a COLORFUL (3-level) vacation-rental * with 1,650 (SF) of "full-house" vacation-use.
Now, our guest's "church" stay - is wonderfully equipped with LOTS of lounging space, an open dining-area (to accommodate ..?8 ) and a fully functional Kitchen - for cooking "your favorite dishes" (.. unless its "I'm-ON-VACATION! I DON'T COOK!") .... OK.
(3) Then, there is MORE historic significance: For, this most "visible" mountaintop residence (with 750 feet of road-frontage along the sculpture-park) - has been operating as a family's private ART-ESTATE for over 50 years). For, this original (3-building) "Mission" (serving the mountain-settlers) was purchased by my father (a prominent Wash.D.C. Painter/Sculptor) Robert E. Kuhn in 1966 - for his private studio-gallery and residence. His son (I, Nathan) also an accomplished ("POP") Sculptor (from NYC) followed as the estate's resident-manager (together with my spouse, Lumen) upon father's passing in 2000.
Thus, there is the added COLORFUL history :THIS fact that Father's "family" Art-estate has become a truly, "authentic" ART-SPACE (for"creative' thought and the production of ART) for over 50 years. What guests "see" (and experience) during their stay - is boldly 'original' and TRUE. Enjoy (as guests respond with "Amazement").
(4) Therefore, the AMAZING "creativity" (of original ART) is everywhere!) ... and "Kids" love it -BEST! ( with their "Free" IMAGINATION to run WILD amidst the wonders of all the COLOR "ART & Imaginative happening).
OH! .....& "Doggies" (PETS WELCOME) ...LOV to chase-about in the sculpture-park).
(5) Truly a SPECIAL place: with its quiet "charm" and gentleness (& CALM). (Like, its hard to find THAT kind of space, these days).
I am often amazed- how our guests find their stay ( in the Church)... "so Cozy & relaxing" * and not wanting to go anywhere,...( but, I guess, it is the calm, (.. just to read, or play games, or gathering for a nice meal and conversations). THIS PLEASES ME - that our accommodations are providing such peace for our guests. Wonderful.
(6) Then, there's the host's "hot" (baked) Breakfast -treats : my selection of vegan-muffins OR my "Blueberry-walnut" Pancakes (seems to have become a tradition, now... over the past few years).
(7) Yes, LOTS -TO -DO ... 'off-the-mountain' (in the town of Luray - 11 miles away)... The Famous "Luray Caverns", of course , (with events (besides the caverns) as (a) a GREAT "Car" museum (b) and my favorite, the wonderful "TOY" ( history) Museun,(c) then the local "History" Museum ( in which guests can pan for "gold". In other words, "A DAY" can be spent, there. Then, The Luray Zoo, a Water-Park, local "fishing" along the Greenway (with 2-mile of walking-paths). Horse-back riding, AND a stop at "The Wisteria Farm & Vineyards" ( on the way back up Tanners Ridge Mountain). In other words, there is LOTS TO DO ( off the mountain) ... which, therefore -invites our guest - to a pleasing "Welcome-back" ! (to a cozy place "back home" to relaxing to).
(8) OH! There's a "LIVE" JAZZ Concert ( every SUNDAY evening ( 6-9) at the historic Mimslyn Inn/ "Speakeasy Lounge" in Luray. (This is performed by your Host ( as I am a Professional "Jazz" Musician * and one of a couple of HARMONICA virtuoso (in America) today. Yes, our guests ( & "kids") -LOVE to see the performance ( as an added "adventure" to their vacation-stay) WHY SURE!
In closing, And THANKS for your booking-consideration. ( For, "There's nothing else like it, Promise ya!" ). * AND check out our "Five-Star" reviews ( .... for the rest of the story)
Kindest regards & Email if you have ANY questions<
Some of our GUEST COMMENTS ( taken from the church's (kitchen) guest-book) it all :
" Beautiful, Peaceful, Extraordinary Retreat" .., "Memorable Beauty", ."Absolutely Amazing", " Highly Recommended", "Fun Place To Stay",
"A Destination In & Of Itself" :
" ...The photos cannot possibly do this place justice! The interior of the church (now home) is perfectly executed - with vibrant colors and art that just constantly surprises and entertains.
"...What a unique and awesome experience! My son bought me here as a surprise-with no clue as to what it would be like."... Aside from the awesome church, I loved your Sunday-night Jazz-concert".
( Sylvia/ Brooklyn, NY)
"Your home is good for the soul & your hospitality is warm & full of grace." (Katie)
"Thank you, Nathan, for all your kindness and generous sharing of the Art-estate's treasures."(Sarah)
(ART) " We will not forget the blend of funny, whimsical, serious, poignant, and COLORFUL creations here - on Tanners Ridge." (S & R)
"Kids really enjoyed the warm muffins you so kindly brought for us every morning." (Ela & children)
" Thank you for everything!" The energy here is incredible!" ( Steve & Serena)
"Thank you for the gracious hospitality, easy conversation, and the delicious muffins & pancakes." ( Katie & Dave)
MORE "Happenings" - The OFF the mountain:
There is the Buddist Retreat, The Lotus Garden - at the base of Tanners Ridge mountain with a worldwide reputation for excellence. ( (For, we have many guests that stay with us while attending their weekly re