*** Special Offer: Book to stay 3 or more nights & receive a complimentary chilled bottle of Tasmanian sparkling wine ***
*** Art Stays available May - Sept | Scroll down for details ***
Imagine standing up on deck, the sea breeze in your hair and the waves rolling below. Your gaze is upon the tossing waters, the seabirds wheeling overhead, and the glimmering horizon beyond. Every sensation is of the ocean – the salt air, the sound of the waves, the great blue sea.
Except this isn’t the deck of a ship; rather, a Scandinavian-inspired oceanfront hideaway nestled on the eastern coastline of Tasmania. Meet the Mariner.
The Mariner looks out upon the Tasman Sea in the coastal hamlet of Falmouth, around halfway between the Bay of Fires and the Freycinet Peninsula. Wake to the sound of the waves upon the shore outside your window and take in the peace and refreshment of being by the sea.
Sandy beaches for taking a dip or surfing are a short walk from the house, which is itself situated on a rocky ocean shoreline. Bring your fishing gear, grab a good book or explore the hidden beaches and coves of Falmouth. And if you’re feeling more adventurous, all the wonders of the east coast of Tasmania are within easy driving distance.
The Mariner sleeps up to 6 guests in two king beds, and two single beds (3 bedrooms in total).
The number of bedrooms made available for your use during your stay depends upon the number of guests and your individual needs.
PLEASE NOTE: By default, a booking for 2 guests includes 1 bedroom, a booking for 3-4 guests includes 2 bedrooms, and a booking for 5-6 (max) guests includes 3 bedrooms.
If you require additional bedrooms, (for example, 2 bedrooms for 2 guests) these may be added to your booking for an additional fee of $50 each per night. Please ask us about adding bedrooms to your booking when submitting your booking enquiry.
ART STAYS @ The Mariner
Take your appreciation of the coastal environment to the next level during your stay at The Mariner, with an on-site art class with your host, professional artist and arts educator Kerri Kennewell.
Explore your creative potential in a relaxed, stimulating environment along with your family and friends, or indulge in a one-on-one lesson by the sea.
Classes will focus on creating drawings and/or small watercolour or acrylic paintings on paper or board, inspired by investigation of the coastline surrounding The Mariner. Materials and on-site studio access are provided during class time.
Guests with all levels of artistic experience are welcome to participate, and classes can be tailored to suit everyone from beginners to practicing artists. We offer our Art Stays between May - September.
Choose from either one or two 3x hour sessions, held from 10am – 1pm (morning tea provided) on chosen days during your stay:
• Single Session - $60^ per person: Loosen up with a series of quick drawing exercises in the studio, before heading out to the foreshore to soak up inspiration for a final artwork to be undertaken during the second part of the lesson.
• Double Session (over 2 days) - $90^ per person: On day one, work through a program of improvisational drawing exercises in the studio, learning about observation and technique. On day two, take a guided coastal walk around Falmouth for inspiration (weather permitting), working en plein air before returning to the studio to complete your artwork.
^ Prices exclude any applicable HomeAway service fees & charges
Kerri Kennewell studied art at the University of Newcastle, NSW, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (Visual Arts) and Graduate Diploma (Arts Education) in 1990. During that time she studied painting and drawing with acclaimed Australian artist John Montefiore.
Kerri has enjoyed a diverse career spanning a number of industries, including nearly a decade as an accomplished secondary school art teacher in coastal NSW. She is a skilled arts practitioner and educator, and has exhibited in Newcastle and Sydney, including solo & group shows at the renowned Von Bertouch Galleries.
1) We run our Art Stays during the quieter months between May - September
2) Art Stays are available for purchase by guests only (sorry, no visitors)
3) Same class rate applies for children as for adults
4) Children must be accompanied by an adult guest (at the advertised rate)
5) Art Stays must be requested & paid for at the time of booking your stay, and may only be included on bookings made at least 7 days prior to commencement of stay
6) The following minimum stay requirements apply to Art Stays:
a) 2-night minimum booking for Single Session
b) 3-night minimum booking for Double Session
HOW TO BOOK YOUR ART STAY
Art Stays are available for purchase by guests at the time of booking, for stays between the months of May and September. When making your booking, let us know whether you’d like to add a 1 or 2 session art class to your stay, and for how many guests, and we will send through a payment request for the class fee.