Note: Home construction starting next door - see notes below.
An Arizona experience with life's little luxuries. Cactus Wren Casita is a non-smoking, tranquil retreat to escape the stress of life. Breathtaking views captivate the soul and steal your heart! Bask in the sunlight while doing Tai Chi, Yoga or simply meditating.
To the east we literally are at the doorstep to the stunning Superstition Mountains. Take one step out of the back gate and you have officially entered the Tonto National Forest and the Sonoran Wilderness Area. Chaise lounges under the pergola face directly towards the mountains. Relax and enjoy your favorite refreshment or read a book while taking in mother nature. Quail, Cactus Wren, Hummingbirds and a host of other birds sing their songs. Breathtaking sunsets paint the mountains a deep lava red. And don't be surprised if you see coyotes, deer, javelina or other wildlife walking the fence line.
To the west experience more awesome scenic views as you overlook the entire Phoenix Valley and Gold Field Mountains. Take in both sunrises and sunsets as you relax on your own private front porch. In the morning watch the daylight work its way across the valley. Relax on comfortable, deep cushioned chaise lounges and take in the changing lights from morning to evening. In the winter you'll want to cozy up to the wood-burning Kiva fireplace and toast some S'mores.
There's a treasure trove of hiking trails around us, with nature beckoning you to explore. A backpack, emergency kit, coolers, and hiking sticks are provided, with numerous books on hiking locally as well as further afield.
We're confident you'll love our gorgeous Casita. It is a fully detached 1,200 sq ft Casita which shares a 1¼ scenic acre lot with the detached main house that we occupy. The Casita is very well kept, super clean, and very quaint with expansive views from every window. Large flatscreen 70" TV in the living room, large flatscreen TV in the pool room, plus an LCD flatscreen TV in the bedroom, not to mention many of life's little luxuries to pamper you while away from home.
Relax with a leisurely cup of coffee on your private front patio with expansive views of the Goldfield Mountains and the City lights at night. The spacious outdoor patio areas include a large stone Kiva fireplace with a table and chairs to enjoy an alfresco lunch or your favorite beverage. We provide one night's wood and a fire starter brick. Extra wood is available in bundles at the local Frys Market.
Please read "Important Information For Guests" below. Age restrictions apply. Strictly non-smoking. The Casita and Main House are located on a 1¼ acre property with both being detached and private. The only area that is shared from time to time with your Hosts is the backyard. We give our guests their privacy, however, we are available by text or phone if you have any questions.
Cactus Wren Casita has everything you could need and more! A home away from home. However, if you don’t see it, feel free to ask. The fully stocked kitchen has all your modern conveniences including:
• Stainless Steel Range/Oven with glass cooktop;
• Stainless Steel Above-Range Microwave;
• Stainless Steel Dishwasher;
• Stainless Steel French-Door Refrigerator with Water/Ice Dispenser;
• Coffee Maker, Electric Water Kettle, Stainless Steel Pots/Pans, Stainless Steel 4-Slice Toaster, all matching crockery and cutlery, carving knife set, steak knife set, cooking utensils, glasses for wine, beer, martinis and much, much more!
The dining and living area is open plan with plenty of large windows for natural light, and to take advantage of the views, views, views! There are incredible views from every window and sliding door!
The large, bright and airy bedroom has a luxury King-size bed, a separate sitting area and a 40 inch Flat Screen TV; plus there is additional sleeping for 2 more guests on the Queen size Sleeper Sofa (located in the living room) with a thick, comfortable Queen-size Cool-Gel mattress. Both beds are extremely comfortable and come complete with quality linens. For people who may overheat when sleeping, the microfiber sheets have wicking properties which help to keep you dry and comfortable when sleeping. The sheets are also effective for people who have allergies plus they also provide a cool, soft sleeping surface. They have been a huge hit with all of our guests!
Additional features include:
• 70 inch Flat Screen TV in Family Room including DirecTV ;
• Internet available;
• A separate Games Room with a 4' x 8' Pool Table, Dart Board, Bar with seating, Flat Screen TV, Sound System, plus board games (Cards, Scrabble, Dominoes etc);
• Indoor and Outdoor dining tables and chairs;
• Iron/Ironing Board;
• Stacked Indoor Washer/Dryer;
• Insulated coolers;
• King size mattress set;
• Quality bed linens and towels + beach towels for the Pool;
• Outdoor propane BBQ;
• Swimming Pool - to be used by Paying Guests Only (not heated). Best swim times are late May - early September. The pool may occasionally be shared with the owners (Bill and Kim). The 15,000 gallon pool measures 15' x 30'. Deep end 5'.5", shallow end 3' with three steps going into the pool. This is not a diving pool but you can comfortably swim 30 ft laps.
• For the hiking enthusiast, there is direct private access from the property into the Tonto National Forest (the 5th largest forest in the US) with many nearby hiking trails including the Superstition Mountains and Flatiron (a popular hiking destination). You'll love it! Always take your cell phone. We provide 2 hiking sticks (located in the pool room). Please take precautions when hiking in the desert - we have heaps of cacti and wildlife. We recommend good hiking boots and long pants. Never feed or approach the wildlife, no matter how cute. And always bring back what you take out with you. Just Google "precautions hiking in the Sonoran desert" for more info.
We are a short drive to grocery stores, restaurants and shopping, plus easy access via our freeways to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, Barrett-Jackson, Spring Training venues, Scottsdale, Casinos, multiple Golf Courses, Lost Dutchman State Park, Desert Botanical Gardens, Boyce Thompsom Arboretum State Park, Goldfield Ghost Town Saloon, Tortilla Flats Saloon, and many other fabulous Phoenix attractions. And don't miss visiting our beautiful local lakes including Theodore Roosevelt Lake which feeds Saguaro Lake, Canyon Lake, and Apache Lake. Book a lake cruise on either Canyon or Saguaro Lake to learn about the history, geography, geology, fauna and flora of the Sonoran Desert ... plenty of great photo opportunities!
Guests provide all their own meals, however, we help out with a welcome basket for your first breakfast.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR GUESTS:
* Strictly a Non-Smoking vacation property, inside and outside.
* Children - this property is not suitable for children under 15 years of age.
* Pet Policy: As much as we love 4-footed friends we are unable to accommodate pets in consideration of all Guests. Service Pets will require approval.
* Age Restriction - the minimum age to book is 25 years.
* Parties and events are not permitted.
* Only paying guests may use the swimming pool.
* If there are more than 2 guests a nightly fee will be charged for guest #3 and #4. (See Rates)
* Check-in: 3 pm or after. Check-out: by 10 am. If you have a late evening check-in please advise the Host.
* Rates are subject to change until reservation is confirmed.
* Damage Protection: We require every booking to include damage protection insurance. Not only does this safeguard our property but it also gives Guests peace of mind in the event of accidental damages. Bookings without damage protection insurance will not be accepted. VRBO offers damage protection when making your booking.
* If guests disregard the House Rules the reservation is subject to immediate cancellation without refund.
We want your stay to be as comfortable as possible. If you have specific allergies or special needs please ask "before" you book so we might better determine if we can accommodate your needs. Be sure to Google "Cactus Wren Casita" for our web site with heaps more information.
CONSTRUCTION UPDATE JAN 15 2019:
There is a new home being built on the property adjacent to us beginning mid-Feb. through the summer. We have asked the owners to please be mindful of our guests. We do not expect a lot of loud noises and there is a strict noise ordinance beginning 8 pm in residential areas. We suspect most noise during mid-day. Our rates have been reduced during this construction phase.
"Thank you so much for the note. I talked to my parents and they believe that the stunning views of the mountains will drown out any construction noise :) We are still a GO! Plus I miss you guys and those cute pups!"
"Thank you for alerting us to this construction, we appreciate it.... the construction of a new home won't bother us."